Saturday, September 1, 2012

Accountability Saturday - Sept. 1


Welcome to my second installment of Accountability Saturday. The past week went about as expected. I tried to stay focused on small goals and keep track of my progress.

I got a little more sleep.
I haven't gotten enough sleep in months. It happens every summer - the kids are home so I sleep in. There's someone home with me all the time so I stay up late to give myself some alone time after everyone goes to bed. It's a vicious cycle and I ended up throwing off my system.

School started a few days ago so this was a good week to work on the sleep thing. My usual bedtime over the summer was around midnight and then I'd try to drag my ass out of bed by 6:00 a.m. on work days. Not a good combination.This week I worked on getting to bed no later than 11:00. I actually did pretty well, except for Wed. night when I didn't get to bed until midnight again. The next night I went to bed by 10:30 so I think the overall consensus is that I did okay. My ultimate goal is to establish a bedtime between 10 & 10:30 because that's how I function best.

The fact that you're reading this on a Saturday doesn't mean I actually typed it on a Saturday. It's actually after 11:00 on Friday night. I'm up waiting for my son to come home from a late movie with a friend. I might as well get something done while I'm waiting. As soon as I'm done typing this I'll crash on the couch.

I drank more water. 
I did pretty well with this goal. I brought a water bottle to work and keep it on my desk so I can fill it as needed. I also have one at home. I do better when I drink from a Dasani type bottle. When the store bought water runs out I refill the bottle from the tap because I'm cheap like that. It's easier for me than a drinking glass and I can keep track of how much I'm getting. I'm not obsessive about how many ounces I drink. I just  make sure I get enough to keep things flowing!

I cut back on coffee. 
There were a couple of days when I only had one cup, which is pretty amazing. I can easily drink 3 or 4 cups a day. I realized I get very sleepy after an afternoon cup of coffee, which sounds strange but it's true. When I skipped it and had water instead I didn't feel sleepy. I missed the taste and ritual of having that afternoon cup so I haven't eliminated it completely.

I did more craft projects. 
Instead of sitting on the computer, I got busy making stuff. I made a pair of earrings  for myself. I also made a card that included a 3D paper flower for a friend's wedding. It's for a Facebook contest so I can't post pics until the contest is over. The prize is pretty sweet so I hope I win!

I watched TV with the family.
Instead of sitting at the computer, I sat down and watched a DVD with the family. We watched Journey 2 while I created the earrings I mentioned above.

I tried not to nag my kids. 
My son says I nag him all the time. I guess it's true but isn't that what moms do? His room is messy, he stays up too late (hmmm...I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!). He's 17 and does things purposely to annoy his mom. I'm attempting to focus less on controlling his actions and more on being positive. Nagging is a hard habit to break.

I made a date with my husband. 
Now this one is a biggie. We haven't had a date since - I have no idea. It's been way too long. Tonight we're going out to a local Irish Pub for dinner and afterwards we're going to see Hope Springs. I let you know how it goes (maybe!).

I found a great blog post through Stumble Upon a few days ago. I'm sharing it because I'm sure there's something everyone can relate to. Today #16 speaks to me.


100 Tips About Life, People, and Happiness


After you've read it, don't forget to come back here and post which one hits home for you. 

I hope everyone has a nice, relaxing Labor Day weekend. Have fun and stay safe!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...