Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rag Wreath

Happy New Year!

It's a new year and I have a new obsession called Pinterest. The easiest way to explain  Pinterest is to directly quote their description. "Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. Pinterest allows you to organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web."

I'm having a ball with Pinterest. In only a week's time I've discovered new recipes and craft ideas. It was there that I discovered rag wreaths. It's the most simple concept - tie a bunch of fabric strips to a wire wreath frame. The possibilities of colors and textures are endless. You can use scraps from old clothing or buy your fabric brand new. I found a video tutorial on YouTube here, bought my fabric at my local Jo-Ann's store, a 12" wire wreath frame at A.C. Moore, and went to work. I wish I'd taken pics as I went along but I just didn't think of it. I've already bought fabric to make a second wreath so I'll definitely post something after I tackle that project. 

Anyway, the YouTube tutorial says it took her about two hours and three yards of fabric. I made my wreath smaller than hers so I bought only two yards of fabric. It wasn't enough and I had to improvise when I got to the end of the project. It also took me much longer than two hours - probably closer to six. Maybe the next one will take less time now that I know what I'm doing. 

This is my wreath, done in winter colors of purple, navy, white and teal. This wreath cost me less than $10 to make. The calico was 30% off plus Jo-Ann's had a coupon for an extra 10% off my total purchase. I got the wreath frame for $1.24 with a 50% off coupon at A.C. Moore. Sweet. 

I love my new front door wreath.




Pin It

2 comments:

RobinH said...

love that wreath! I keep pinning things like that to make for myself but I haven't done any yet

Katy Cameron said...

Oops, sorry, I hadn't realised you hadn't used this before or I'd have sent you an invitation months ago! Glad you're having fun with it anyway. If you want to follow any of my boards I'm katyclt, and have something in the region of about 1,400 pins!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...