Monday, May 30, 2011

Taking a breather...

Holy crap. I can't believe two weeks have gone by since my last post. I feel like such a slacker with this blog.

Life has been incredibly busy for me. Seriously, I wanted to jump off the world for a few days.

My daughter was in a school play the night of Friday, the 20th. She was at school until 5:00 pm for the five days leading up to that. She ended up getting sick. She had to push through it because A) she had no absences left at school because she had pneumonia last fall; B) she had MCAS testing (state mandated) that week and C) she signed a "contract" with her drama director that she'd be there every afternoon during show week. It was hard for me to see her struggle while not feeling well, but we both knew that it's important that she not lose anymore days of school. I pulled her out of school early last week to take her to the doctor. After the long, tiring week she'd had the week before, I suspected she now had a sinus infection. I was right, and she's been on an antibiotic for a week.

While dealing with her school drama schedule, I was asked to put in more hours at work. Yay for the paycheck. Boo for losing the hours I needed at home to prepare for the tag sale I'd been planning to have on Memorial Day weekend for a year. Stress is good, right?

Oh, did I forget to mention the three trips to the auto mechanic during the month of May? WTF First the van needed a water pump. Then the truck needed a new distributor cap and tune-up. Then the van failed inspection and needed to go in again for a tie rod. The thing that gets me is we both knew about the tie rod. I was warned about it last May when I took it in for inspection. I told my husband, who was under the influence of pain killers after his accident, then we both completely forgot. Duh. He just informed me that the truck is going to need a brake job but I covered my ears and pretended I didn't hear. The van needs a tune-up too.

My tag sale was this past Saturday. I told myself throughout the past year that it would be my last one for a long time. I haven't changed my mind. Tag sales are hard work if you want a successful one. They're also physically demanding (hauling boxes upstairs and out to the garage is exhausting). I stressed about the weather because it rained for almost two weeks straight before finally clearing. When the day came it was sunny, hot, slightly humid and breezy. By the end of the day I felt like a sweaty, windblown mess.

But I'm now $156 richer. Not bad for selling most things for less than $1.00.

Emily and I have been selling off our my scrap supplies so we can buy a used Wii system. I want Zumba for the Wii and she wants Just Dance 2. I sold a few things on ebay but the majority went in the tag sale. I spent three days gathering, organizing and pricing scrap supplies. The scrappers came. They bought my paper, stickers and embellishments. My patterned paper stash is down to a quarter of what it was. It felt so good to purge.

I started back on Weight Watchers four weeks ago. I've lost 3 lbs. A week ago I was happy that I lost 3 lbs. But then another week went by and I lost nothing even though I stayed on program. How frustrating. I guess it's true that it's harder to lose as you get older. It's certainly easier to gain, that's for sure. I took a break from WW this weekend. I haven't gone crazy but I haven't counted points for the past few days. I also skipped my Zumba class on Sunday. I needed to chill out after the long tiring day I had on Saturday. I'll get back on track when the holiday weekend is over. Who knows, maybe this little break will shake things up.

Now that the month of May is almost over, I can be thankful that:
  • Em's school play was a huge success
  • She's slowly recovering from her sinus infection
  • The vehicles are in working order (shhh, don't say that too loud)
  • My tag sale was a success
  • I will not be having another tag sale for a very, very long time
  • I lost 3 lbs.
  • I bought a used Wii system on ebay the day after the tag sale. Yay!!
  • I've got my life back

Maybe I'll finally have time to keep this blog updated. One can dream!

As a final note, while you're enjoying the holiday please remember the reason for the day off by honoring our service men and women, both past and present. Attend a parade or memorial service, visit a grave, fly your flag, thank a soldier.

My Dad was a World War II veteran.
He was a 1st Sergeant in the U.S. Army and fought for our freedom in Europe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...