Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Recipe: Easy Cheeseburger Pie


I seem to be on a ground beef kick lately. My husband isn't crazy about chicken. Doesn't it figure that it's easier to find chicken recipes than it is to find ground beef recipes. I don't know about anyone else, but I think a lot of ground beef recipes are a variation of the same basic ingredients - onions, beef broth, cheese, tomato or pasta sauce, potatoes. I love spaghetti & meatballs but even I get tired of serving it every week. I needed to find something else to make. Thank goodness for Pinterest - my new recipe finder! 

I made this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago. I found the recipe on bettycrocker.com. It was very easy to make, especially if you cook the ground beef ahead of time like I did. All I did was cook the onions in a little bit of butter and throw the rest together. 

Easy Cheeseburger Pie
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
½ tsp salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup Bisquick (I used Heart Smart)
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400
° degrees. Spray 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
In 10 inch skillet cook beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 mins. until beef is brown. Drain. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate and sprinkle with shredded cheese.

In small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over meat in pie plate.
Bake about 25 mins. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 6 pieces.




When I saw that this recipe calls for 1/2 cup Bisquick to a full cup of milk I thought it was wrong. I went with it anyway because I don't mess with measurements the first time I make a recipe. Well, what I didn't realize until I was done mixing the Bisquick, milk and eggs is that the liquid mixes in with the meat when your pour it into the pie plate. It's like a pancake with hamburger and cheese (sounds gross but it's not). Which brings me on to how it tastes. It's not bad. It tastes like you'd expect a cheeseburger casserole to taste. The reviews on the original recipe say to add things like ketchup, mustard, relish, tomato - anything you'd put on a regular cheeseburger - to the meat. I didn't do that because my picky eaters don't all like the same thing on their burgers (and one doesn't want anything but cheese on his). I put ketchup and BBQ sauce on the dinner table and let them add it on their own. 

I should have served a veggie on the side, maybe a salad (we rarely eat salad), baked fries, corn on the cob - something. But I didn't. So this is what we had for dinner that night.


It looks so lonely on my Corelle Butterfly Gold plate. We got six servings out of this and I have to admit, they're kind of small. But if you want to try to keep it healthy, take a small piece and have a fresh salad on the side. 

Here's a printable version Easy Cheeseburger Pie


Follow me on Pinterest


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...