Thursday, September 27, 2012

Learning to be a Ninja!


My daughter and I started R.A.D. Systems physical defense classes last night. R.A.D. stands for Rape Aggression Defense. I've heard nothing but positive things about these classes. Our town police dept. is running a five-session course for free so I figured why not!  When I first asked my daughter if she wants to do it she said "no way," so I let it go. I asked one more time and tried to entice her by saying she could learn to be a ninja. LOL (I don't know why, but she loves ninjas). The the day before the classes started she texted me at work and said she wants to be a ninja. :)

Last night's class was about two hours of talk and about a half hour of basic defense moves. Next week will be more intense with the entire class spent learning more moves. At the fifth class we'll be doing a simulation training, which sounds pretty intimidating to me! The instructors (all police officers) will attack us and we have to defend ourselves and get away. They'll expect us to yell, kick, punch, hit below the belt - whatever it takes. Eeek! I'm normally pretty shy so this is going to be a big challenge for me. I also can't picture my 14 year old daughter doing this at all!

I guess this would rate as one of those "step out of your comfort zone" moments.

What have you done that was completely out of your comfort zone?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...