Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Recipe: Pumpkin Nut Bread


What's fall without pumpkins? What's fall without pumpkin bread?

I made this for my mom's birthday one year and she loved it. She called me a few days later just to thank me again and tell me how delicious it was. :)

I usually double the recipe so I can use up a whole can of pumpkin, then I freeze the extra bread.

Pumpkin Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, baking soda and cloves; set aside. In a large mixer bowl beat together brown sugar and shortening until well combined; beat in eggs. Add pumpkin and milk; mix well. Add flour mixture to sugar-pumpkin mixture, mixing well. Stir in chopped nuts and the raisins.

Turn batter into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake in a 350° oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 loaf.

1 comment:

Diana Joy said...

I just love it when we make something for someone and know that they really like it. Bread sounds yummy and I bet it smells good cooking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...