Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Recipe: Classic Meatloaf


Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and fresh-from-the-farm corn on the cob.

Fall is just around the corner which means more comfort foods. Meatloaf is one of my comfort foods. It's also my son's favorite meal, as long as it's served with mashed potatoes, gravy and corn. He'd be happy if I made it once a week. Me? I'm happy if I make it once a month. I make it from scratch. I also make real honest to goodness mashed potatoes with real butter, salt and milk. There's no such thing as potato flakes in this house. I will admit to using gravy packets as a time saver. I stock up when the local grocery store has them on sale buy one get two free.

This recipe will take roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hours to make, which includes prep time and oven time. I usually cook it as a Sunday dinner. I make enough to have leftovers later in the week. I also like to pack a cold meatloaf sandwich for work the next day. I love my meatloaf sandwiches with ketchup!

Classic Meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (or whatever meat you use for meatloaf)
1 cup milk
1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried sage leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs or 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 egg
1 clove garlic, finely chopped, or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce or barbecue sauce

Heat oven to 350°. Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread mixture in loaf pan or shape into loaf in rectangular pan. Brush ketchup over top. Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until done. Remove from oven and let it sit 5-10 minutes to make it easier to slice.

*Note: 3 slices of bread, torn into small pieces can be substituted for the bread crumbs.
I brush barbecue sauce over mine and it gives it a little bit of a sweet taste. Yum!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

your meatloaf recipe sounds good. After I put on the ketchup topping, I always add a couple of strips of bacon. The family loves the bacon on top.

bonkdawn said...

I am going to make this tonight! Yum! TFS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...