Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Recipe: Creamy Chicken Potato Soup

This recipe is a favorite of several of my online friends. I got it from a recipe swap I was in many years ago. I realize it's more of a cold weather, comfort meal and not really suited for the heat of summer. Print it out and file it with your soup recipes. You'll be glad you did!

Creamy Chicken Potato Soup
4 large potatoes, peeled & diced
1 lb chicken breast, cooked & cubed
2 large carrots, cubed
1 cup diced onions (I used 1/4 cup dried minced onion)
1 cup milk
3 cups water
4 oz Velveeta, cubed
1 envelope country gravy mix
1 tsp parsley flakes

1. Combine water, chicken, potatoes, carrots and onion in large pot. Bring to boil, then simmer 15 minutes.
2. Add parsley and Velveeta, stirring until Velveeta is melted.
3. In a separate bowl, mix milk and gravy mix, then stir slowly into soup. It should thicken at this point.
4. Cook on low for approx. 2 hours or slow cook all day on low in a crock pot. When I've made this in a crock pot, I transferred the soup to the crock pot after doing step 3.

The texture should be smooth except for the potatoes and chicken. If you prefer it even more smooth you can cream the potatoes. I love mine chunky like a stew! 

1 comment:

Kel said...

I may have to try this regardless of this muggy heat! It has sooo many of my favorite things in it.. especially potatoes and cheese...yummmmmmmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...