Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Patient

Many of you have left nice comments wishing my husband a smooth recovery and I appreciate that. This is an update on his recovery.

His accident happened just over a month ago and he can't put any weight on his ankle yet. His plaster cast was removed two weeks after he broke his ankle. He was given an aircast, which he can remove to take a shower, ice the ankle, etc. It looks like a ginormous ski boot. He should wear the cast most of the time but he doesn't. I'm not his mother. I can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do. In his defense, the weather has been hot. He says his leg and foot sweat horribly inside the cast. His ankle is healing fine. He had an appointment with the "cast room" at the orthopedic office last week and everything looked good.

He has an appointment with his orthopedic surgeon in two weeks. That's when we're hoping he can start putting some weight on his foot. The poor guy can't walk and can't drive. His bad back is aggravated by his crutches so he doesn't go anywhere that requires him to walk around too much. He's going stir crazy being cooped up in the house. He takes rides with me when I run quick errands on my days off, just to get out of the house.

The prognosis is possibly four months before he can put full weight on his foot. If his employer can't find a light duty (desk) job for him, he'll be out of work until that time. So that's that. We're surviving. I'll be glad when the kids' activities (especially my daughter's) slow down for the summer. I'm doing all the driving right now.

Here's a photo of my husband taken sometime during the first two weeks after his accident. Flower kitty is making sure he stays put. She's such a good girl. :-)


1 comment:

Diana Joy said...

The pic with the cat holding him down is great...I see a scrapbook title there. Sure nice it's healing ok; doesn't happen fast enough huh? Do take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...