Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Recipe: General Tso's Chicken - Weight Watchers friendly

I'm a Weight Watchers Lifetime member. That's a little fact about myself that I share with only my very closest friends and family. I don't push Weight Watchers on people because everyone has their own agenda when it comes to making healthy choices. Anyway, I found this General Tso's chicken recipe while googling for WW friendly meal ideas. It's not quite the same as what you'd get at a Chinese restaurant, but it's a darn good homemade version. The best part is that it's very easy to prepare and you can control what goes into it.

I substitute olive oil for the peanut oil because I always have it in the house. I use brown rice instead of white for the simple reason that it's a healthier choice. I always serve it with lots of broccoli. The recipe states it's 6 points per serving. I'd take that as an approximate value only.

Weight Watchers General Tso's Chicken
3/4 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons peanut oil
2 medium scallions, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, minced or 1 dried chili, minced
1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
3. Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
4. Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving. Serves 4.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmmm. dave LOVES general tso's so i cant wait to try this one out!! thanks judy :) loving all your recipes!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...