Thursday, March 11, 2010

School bus paper piecing

I'm gearing up and getting ready to make the paper piecing tutorial I mentioned awhile back. You'll be creating your own paper pieced embellishment from a coloring page - no pattern pieces involved! Don't be scared, you can do it! I'll post an Easter Bunny coloring page to save and print or you can use your own and follow my instructions.

In the meantime, here's an idea of what you can do with a coloring page. This piece was incredibly tedious  and time consuming. It's probably one of the most difficult ones I've tackled - and I have no use for it! I made it to sell on Etsy. Actually, I made two to sell on Etsy to make it worth my time (it took only slightly longer to make the second one because I did it assembly line style). I sold one to a friend, the other is still with me. My kids don't take a bus to school so this will never be in my scrapbook. If you're interested in owning it contact me.

This was technically not made with a coloring page. I used the coloring page as a guide only. I measured all the elements of the school bus, then cut all of the cardstock pieces with my paper trimmer and scissors. It involved lots of squares, rectangles and rounded corners. This is a true handcut old school paper piecing. The way it was done before die cutting machines came on the market.

Did I mention that it took me three hours to do this? A project like this is not for the faint of heart.

A closer shot to show the detail. 

I haven't even started the tutorial yet (blush). I've got a lot on my plate but I hope to have it on the blog next Monday. In the meantime, if you have something in mind you want to make do a search in google images. Type in your keyword with 'coloring page.' Keep the design simple if you're a beginner.

I hope you come back for the tutorial!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...