Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Recipe: Blueberry Streusel Muffins


Oh my gawd. I love these muffins.
I like to eat one with a cup of coffee as a snack. They're nice for a brunch or to throw in a child's lunchbox too.

This recipe came from my trusty 20 year old Betty Crocker cookbook. I always double the batch and freeze half. It takes me awhile to gather up all my ingredients and make the struesel topping so I try to make it worth my efforts. I use frozen blueberries when fresh are too expensive. I have a bag of blueberries in my freezer right now that's calling me. I need to make these again soon.

Cinnamon Streusel Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter or margarine

Muffins
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh, canned (drained) or frozen blueberries

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups or line with paper baking cups. In medium bowl, mix 1/4 cup flour, the brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly.

2. In large bowl, beat milk, oil, vanilla and egg until well blended. Stir in 2 cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Gently stir in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with about 2 teaspoons streusel topping.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cool.

Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

I think when you've whipped up that batch you should send me some :oD

bonkdawn said...

Oh yum! Another must-try! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...