Photo courtesy of http://www.crisco.com/
Last Easter I ate more than one serving of this frittata, then ended up too full for the Lemon Lush dessert! (recipe follows this one) This recipe comes from Crisco. It was printed in one of the Sunday coupon inserts years ago and is now available on their website.
Ham & Cheese Baked Frittata
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 cups frozen shredded potatoes
OR 4 Idaho or russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound baked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
12 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa, heated
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 13 x 9-inch casserole with no-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
3. Cook 8 minutes or until almost brown. Add ham. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Turn occasionally with spatula.
4. Blend eggs with milk, Italian seasoning and remaining 1 teaspoon salt while potatoes are cooking. Place the potatoes into prepared casserole. Stir the eggs into the potatoes.
5. Bake, covered with foil, 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheese; return to oven.
7. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and eggs are set. Increase heat to broil and continue to cook about 2 minutes, or until top is nicely browned. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve topped with heated salsa. Serves 8.
The next recipe is a cool and creamy dessert. The lemon makes it a nice choice for Easter and it's also perfect for a summer gathering. It's delicious when made with pistachio pudding as well.
2 cups flour
2 sticks melted margarine or butter
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 - 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
2 - 8 oz tubs of Cool Whip
3 cups milk
2 packages instant lemon (or pistachio) pudding
1. Combine flour, butter and nuts and press into a 13x9 pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350°. Cool.
2. Beat together sugar, cream cheese and one container of Cool Whip. Spoon over crust.
3. Beat pudding and milk until thick. Layer over cream cheese mixture. Top with Cool Whip.
4. Chill before serving.