Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Recipe: Family-Style French Toast

I want to start with a quick disclaimer today. Most of my recipe posts will not include photos. The simple reason is that I don't stop to take photos as I'm cooking or of the finished product. When I'm in my kitchen I'm concentrating on getting everything cooked and on the table at the same time. I'll post a photo if it's a recipe I've found online, otherwise you'll just have to use your imagination.

This French toast recipe is absolutely delicious! If you have kids they'll love the sweet gooey topping. It's become a family tradition to have it on Christmas morning after we're done opening gifts. I enjoy hanging out in my PJs while throwing together an easy breakfast. The cinnamon and brown sugar make the house smell heavenly...

Oh sorry...where was I?

This recipe came from an old issue of Quick Cooking magazine, which I believe is now called Simple & Delicious. I always add more eggs because I seem to run out of egg mixture before all the bread slices are soaked.

Family-Style French Toast

2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tsps ground cinnamon
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups milk
1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
Confectioner's sugar

Combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, spread evenly in a greased 15" x 10" x 1" inch baking pan; set aside. Combine eggs and milk in a shallow dish; place bread in dish and soak for 5 minutes, turning once. Place bread over sugar mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve brown sugar side up; dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 6-8 servings.

This is good served with bacon or sausage links!

1 comment:

kellystar said...

Judy-- a friend gave me this recipe too, and now it has become our Christmas morning tradition! You are right--it is a family favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...