Saturday, February 20, 2010

Judy's Chicken Pot Pie recipe

My blogging juices have been running a little dry this week. I thought I'd share a favorite recipe I've been making for years. I originally got the recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook. If you don't already own this cookbook run...don't walk...to the store and pick up a copy. It's a classic. Sure, you can probably get the recipes for free on their website. I prefer to flip through the pages of a cookbook and place sticky notes on recipes I want to try.

My measurements are approximate. Prep & cooking time is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I try to cook the chicken ahead of time. I have no photo to share, sorry.

Judy's Chicken Pot Pie

1 lb boneless chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into bite size chunks
1/2 bag of frozen mixed veggies, cooked
onion (I used dried minced)
5 tbsp butter
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup milk
1 can chicken broth or 1 3/4 cup water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes
salt & pepper
Pillsbury pie crust, one layer (or make your own)

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender but not too soft. In large saucepan, melt butter on med low and add onion. (If you're using raw onion you'd want to cook it at this point. I always use dried onions). When butter is melted add flour, salt & pepper and let simmer for about a minute, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Add broth & milk and heat on med until it simmers and thickens, stirring often.

Once your sauce is thickened stir in your main ingredients - chicken, veggies and potatoes. Heat on low for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour into a deep dish pie plate or casserole dish. I always use my round Corningware baking dish because the filling never fits in a pie plate. Place your pie crust on top and poke a few holes in the center with a fork. Make it look as pretty as you want. At this point I advise you to put the dish on top of a cookie tray to prevent spills in your oven. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...